Friday, March 27, 2015

No-buy Hiatus

I started a no-buy at the beginning of this year. I was doing well up until a month or so ago. I am not sure if it is because I am feeling lonely, or seeing all this new makeup come out, that I broke my no-buy with a $40 Bobbi Brown blush in the most gorgeous coral I've ever seen. It has spiraled downwards from there. I just purchased 8 nail polishes and have had 2 ColourPop orders come in within the last two weeks.

I am hereby taking myself off said no-buy, as suggested by a friend. I am not going to go crazy and haul makeup, but if there is something that I absolutely want, I refuse to make myself feel guilty about it; which is what has happened. I feel like I have been lying to myself, and that's not good.


I will admit that the items I have purchased, I am extremely in love with. Those include my new Holy Grail foundation, a NARS primer, the Bobbi Brown blush, multiple ColourPop SuperShock Shadows & blushes, and a hot pink liquid liner from Urban Decay.

Because of what I have recently brought in to my stash of color, I cleaned out some items that:
a) I have never used
b) The color/formula is not working for me
c) Makeup I just do not love anymore


The above 14 items are what I am getting rid of. As you can probably tell, some of these are from ipsy bags (which is making me seriously reconsider that subscription service). The blushes just do not work on my skin tone, and I have realized that ridiculously bright lip colors make my cheeks look fat. I am sort of sad to see the Naked Flushed palette leave, but the bronzer is so orange, and the blush is so bright that I am a little embarrassed that I rocked the heck out of it in the beginning of my high-end makeup life.

I have learned a few lessons since being on a self-imposed no-buy:
1. I suck at no-buys.
2. It has become so much easier to walk into Sephora/drugstore/browse online and NOT purchase anything.
3. I do NOT need another pink blush.
4. Just because it is a free sample, I do not need to make a $25 purchase of something I will probably wind up returning anyways.
5. I have learned what colors work best for my skintone; and in my 30+ lipsticks I already own all those colors.
6. It is extremely gratifying to use up products; even if it is just a body wash or sample of skin care.
7. I really do not need another blush...

Thank you for reading this and leave a thought/suggestion/encouragement for me! Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

  1. This better work this time..lol No-buys is not for everyone, nothing wrong with that. At least you can say your tried it long enough to know that it's not your cup of tea. I like the way you are approaching it from now on. If you feel like you really want something, write it down, look in your collection to see if you have something similar if not the same already, if not after a week and you've done all that and still want it, go get it. I know for me, on one hand I really do enjoy makeup and purchasing new stuff but on the other hand it gives me a temporary satisfaction when I'm emotional..and that could be happy or sad emotions. I need to be more consistent with waiting and not just buying right on the spot because I want it. I support you either way. It really is a daily thing I have to do, just like making daily choices for food. I LOVE to cook/bake but along with that comes lots of calories if I don't keep things in check. It's the same thing with makeup, it's daily choices. I'm not always going to be stronger than the urge to want to buy what I want but I do have victories. And as long as I'm doing better than the day or week before, I'm happy! Good luck to you sweety! I'm always here if you need to yell at someone or if you want me to yell at you! lol Thanks for sharing! xoxoxo
    BrownEyedGirlCherise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherise,
      yay! it worked this time!!! While I was proud of myself in the beginning, I didn't like telling myself "no" lately. So I would buy anyways then feel sort of guilty. I am going to take your suggestion of writing it down and looking through my collection for similar items. That is part of what I did with deciding not to get the newest ColourPop box collection. I already have 2 highlighters I love, more than enough blushes and I came to my senses that I would not wear those three lippies...boom...$40 saved! Sometimes I wish I didn't have this addiction, but it makes me happy, and I'm not addicted to anything that is bad for my body. Thank you for taking the entire weekend to post your comment. I really appreciate it and appreciate you! Have a wonderful rest of the weekend and I will see you on IG soon. xo -Stephanie

      Delete
  2. I just came over on the recommendation of Cherise and I'm glad I did. I will also be following you on IG. I just wanted to say that I completely understand your frustration and self imposed guilt over purchasing. The thing that struck me the most was your statement about being lonely. It pricked my heart. I don't know your situation but I do know you are not alone. I will walk with you on this journey and you will not be alone! You have a new follower and a new friend. Be blessed today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle =) I get lonely because I have few friends in real life and my hubs is gone a lot. Social media, IG mainly, is where I go to not feel as lonely because I feel like I am surrounded by friends who have the same passion as me. But the thing that comes with social media is the "want". Thank you for your comment and newfound friendship! I am happy we have Cherise in common. She is a sweetheart and I love her even though I don't know her in person. Happy Easter!

      Delete